Ashhurst Mtg
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ashhurst Mtg

Ashhurst Mtg is a small group which gathers weekly to play Magic the Gathering

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Who's in for a Draft?

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

What set do you want to draft?
Ravnica
Who's in for a Draft? Vote_lcap50%Who's in for a Draft? Vote_rcap
 50% [ 2 ]
Shadowmoor
Who's in for a Draft? Vote_lcap25%Who's in for a Draft? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Time Spiral
Who's in for a Draft? Vote_lcap25%Who's in for a Draft? Vote_rcap
 25% [ 1 ]
Other
Who's in for a Draft? Vote_lcap0%Who's in for a Draft? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
The Eye
Maximum Madness / Foil Grabbing Maniac
The Eye

Who's in for a Draft? Empty
PostSubject: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 4:20 am

I set the poll to run for two weeks, that should give us enough time to make a decision and actually get the draft done.
I isolated the choices down to three sets.
Ravnica-Pretty much everyone plays Ravnica colours. Ravnica has heaps of cool stuff in it, but only two guilds interact with the others (selesnya and golgari), so red/blue will be hard to play.
Shadowmoor-Shadowmoor will be the easiest to draft because the hybrid cards allow a four-color deck with two colors of lands, but the stuff isn't as good.
Time Spiral-Kind of a mixed bag. I guess we'll all have radically different decks, as this is the largest set by far and has variety, but doesn't have the versatility of Shadowmoor or quite the raw power of Rav. But three rares a booster max affraid

Anything else-please post pros and cons. I prefer we all stick to the three mayor sets and not get too many options.
Black Mana Green Mana White Mana Red Mana Blue Mana
afro
Back to top Go down
shunter
stands for proficiency
shunter

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 6:13 pm

rav is a pretty big set as well you know, 300 cards is about right i think..
probably shadowmoor will be easiest as most people here will have never played sealed before, so due to all the hybrid shadowmoor will make the easiest opportunity to build a basic sealed deck of 40 cards for unexperienced players.
However im all cool for any of the other sets since they were also my favourite suggestions. THey all have their advantages and disadvantages that balance out as i see it.
Back to top Go down
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard
Rincewind

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2008 9:29 pm

Anything is good.
Back to top Go down
http://ashhurstmtg.rpgwars.org
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 4:05 am

New suggestions by Jonathan:
Mirrodin-Are there any advantages to this set? I suppose artifacts are always easy to make a draft deck from...
Alpha-Apart from the obvious problem that this set is out of stock and boosters are probably in the hundreds, as well as most of it being banned, this would be a good set to draft.
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 4:06 am

You're joking, a split decision!
Anyways, I feel like joking:
A farmer was in a bar drinking and looking all depressed.

His friend asked him why he was looking depressed and he replied, "Some things you just can't explain. This morning I was outside milking. As soon as the bucket was fill the cow kicked it down with his left foot so I tied up his left to a pole.

I began to fill up the bucket again and he kicked it down with his right foot, so I tied his right to a pole too.

As soon as I finished milkin'' him again he knocked down the bucket with his with his tail and I took off my belt and tied up his tail with my belt.

As I was tying up his tail, my pants dropped down, then my wife came out and well, trust me, some things you just can't explain!
Back to top Go down
shunter
stands for proficiency
shunter

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 6:49 am

can someone pleeeeeeeeeeeeease make a thread just for Max to post his quotes of the day!!!!????
i'll congradulate you on having the guts to post something so obscene as that on a compleeeeeeeeeetey unrealated thread Max!! however that was the most poorly integrated one yet!!

On a more serious topic (depending on your nature) What the hell is alpha on the table of ideas??? I'll leave alpha at that.

This next bit is a bit racist towards mirrodin so Johnathan,if your not 16 yet i think think you may like to divert your eyes for this next part perhaps?
1). Do they even sell it anymore its so old?
&
2). Who apart from Johnathan would even consider mirrodin as a physical social or spiritual possibility to draft?
I think that if i did ever open a mirrodin booster, i would want to pass the whole thing!!
Back to top Go down
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard
Rincewind

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 20, 2008 10:23 pm

Max, just a few notes:

1. Cows are female, unless Agresearch have completed their top secret research project (any ideas Chris?)
2. The bucket was full, not fill...
3. It's really really off-topic!!!

If Jonathan wants to draft Alpha or Mirrodin thats fine, provided he pays for everyones boosters.

I'd say Shards, but I probably have enough of it already. It was pretty cool making a sealed deck out of though.
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 3:41 am

I just copy pasted really, and anyway, how can something be called of-topic in random ramblings? In fact, it's quite in the spirit of this sub-forum.
Why anyone would want Mirrodin might be a mystery to you, Sam, but a good player can make a good deck around any card(s).
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 4:17 am

Jonathan's vote is Rav.
Back to top Go down
shunter
stands for proficiency
shunter

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 7:51 am

man you just double posted.
Again.
And its to update a post FROM THE SAME DAY.
you cant even use your excuse "aw, people need to know theres been a change on this thread", because nobody has been on this thread since the first one!!!!!

Of course i could make a good deck from any set, Max, or comparitively i could if you are any reference my friend.

The point is that afterwards in constructed format, the deck would be so incredibly useless, that even if i donated it to charity, any self-respecting hobo would refuse to wipe their ars with it!!
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 3:29 am

Good point. I'd just get the rares, then build the deck out of whatever suits the rest best.
Back to top Go down
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard
Rincewind

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 22, 2008 10:05 pm

Sealed might be better...
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 3:20 am

Peter might be coming, and is not keen on sealed. I think it might be better as well, but we'll just see what others think.
Sam, unless you feel that your life is in danger due to my actions, which you have not informed me of so far, I don't see what you're complaining about.
Back to top Go down
shunter
stands for proficiency
shunter

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 7:02 am

so you cant see anything unless my life is in danger max?
Damn i shouldve picked up on that by now since you do it so blatantly and so often its as if your sense organs are retarded lol or maybe you just lied and like anoying everyone haha.
Drafting is fine with me since also as we all have different tastes, and its easier to make decks if you intend to play with the drafted cards since you get to pick cards from the boosters that are syncronous with the colours you intend to play.
Also if not playing with the drafted cards its much easier to get cards you want than in sealed obviously.
Have we decided rav then?
Can we have a count of how many people are both interested, and intend to follow up on their interest with attendance and commitment?
Back to top Go down
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard
Rincewind

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 23, 2008 11:26 pm

Well, we need to do *something* other than argue. This is a thread about drafting, not flaming. Please calm down.

I would much rather do sealed for the following reasons:

* Half of us have never drafted before, so there will be a discrepancy in skill at drafting
* If you get two awesome rares in a booster you want both right? With my luck its going to happen.
* Sealed is faster to build a deck from since there's no time wasted drafting per se.

Anyway, I will be coming, and I have the money to afford whatever event we do.
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 3:42 am

Ah, but then this could be the experience to close the discrepancy gap, isn't it? I, personally, prefer sealed as well, although Some People are against it.
Peter's interested, and although he'd do anything, he wants to do Shadowmoor on the basis that he wants to rebuild color hose and wants to get Painter's Servants. Anybody have some, by the way?
Back to top Go down
Zombie Hobo
Zombie Hobo
Zombie Hobo

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 4:20 am

Which is easier(sealed or draft), btw, coz that's where my vote would go.
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 9:53 am

Sealed means you get a tournament pack and make a 40-card deck out of that, sealed is the same, except you take a card out of a booster, then pass it on.
Back to top Go down
shunter
stands for proficiency
shunter

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 8:50 pm

As you know anythings fine for me.
I just would like a conclusion to come sooner rather than later, while i still have enough money to join in any event you guys eventually do or donot decide to hold.
Ok now that we're over the definitions of format are we decided on Ravnica sealed?
If we cannot get tournament packs online, then we should start thinking about if we can get a discount in buying a large number from heroes or something. This would be a good time to start wondereing how many people are interested so we know how much this event will cost each of us in total (and usually as the story goes the more you buy the bigger the discount as well as being more fun)
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 pm

AFAIK, this is the list of people interested:
Me
Jonathan
Sam
Peter
Marcus
William
Chris
Harris
People who might be interested, but haven't confirmed:
Mini-Harris (I forget the real name, once again)
Brendan
Andy
Back to top Go down
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard
Rincewind

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:15 pm

Personally I'm not sure how well Ravnica would pan out being sealed, but I'm sure it's possible Very Happy

If we did go sealed, would it be 3-pack or 5-pack?
Back to top Go down
The Eye
The Eye

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:22 pm

If you're saying what I think you're saying, I'd go fo smaller packs as I'm, uh, "poorly funded" with cash at the time.
Back to top Go down
Rincewind
Forum Wizzard
Forum Wizzard
Rincewind

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:25 pm

Hmmm... Drafting is probably the better option then...

I have $140 just sitting here, so we could play fat pack sealed Laughing
Back to top Go down
Chris
Flushing Meadows.
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:33 pm

Just an observation....
The majority of those reportedly interested in ther draught are from PNBHS.
Why not just do it at school, since Max and Jonathan are the only ones that come to the meetings?
scratch scratch scratch
Back to top Go down
http://iwant2.servebeer.com
Chris
Flushing Meadows.
Chris

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 10:35 pm

By the way... a draft is somethng that comes under the door...
and yes this is a double post and...
thats Sam;s fault because he's just too slow in replying....
(must be the unlimited dialup!)
and yes Sam that is sarcasm...
and under the rules that is mandatory.
Back to top Go down
http://iwant2.servebeer.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's in for a Draft?   Who's in for a Draft? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who's in for a Draft?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next